Wednesday, August 27, 2008

white on white







I don't often do the same subject over and over.

I found this beautiful white moth dead on my windshield. Still perfect in form.

I've mentioned before how the human eye can see so much more than pigments can reproduce. Painting subjects that are all white are very challenging. Because the whitest white is several shades darker than the brightest light every darker shade must consequently also be adjusted. With all white subjects, in this case a very white moth on white paper, the goal is to retain the feeling of everything being white.

These are 8x10 oil paintings on stretched canvas.

4 comments:

MOM said...

Well, I must warn any reader of this comment that I am the artist's mother, so I do come to this opinion with some prejudice.
All that said, I do really like this work. You see it says to me what beauty the artist has in her soul to enable her to find the beauty in this lifeless moth.
Remember how much I love you, MOM

Léo said...

Awww. Gee thanks Mom. :-D

dreameyce said...

I see the moth now! I didn't see it in the last post *G*

Traci said...

fabulous!

Who do I think I am?

My photo
Vancouver, WA, United States

Copyright Statement

Copyright Statement
All work here is copyrighted by Léo Washburn, aka "Léo". Please contact me if you wish to purchase use of any of these images.

Notice to Copyright Holders
I have made every effort to secure permission to use the works of others on this page. Any use of others’ works on this site is the result of either explicit permission from the copyright owner, a good faith belief (following investigation) that the work is in the public domain, or a fair use for purposes of research and scholarship under copyright laws. I have no intent to offend anyone's ownership rights in intellectual property. If you are a copyright claimant with regard to any work on this site, and you object to my use of it, please contact me.